Nalia's Tale [Devlog]

Hey everyone my name is CreativeJon90 one of the developers of Bounty Nalia's Tale.

Bounty Nalia's Tale is a pixel sci fi action rpg. You play as Nalia, a former police officer who's son was killed by a group of raiders. In this story she takes matters into her own hands and becomes a bounty hunter. She is searching for information on the group of raiders that killed her son. As a bounty hunter you have access to different weapons and gear.

Weapons
  • Light Blade - This is one of her weapons. It is a katana that was modified and upgraded by her late husband, who was a weapons engineer for the GPD (Galactic Police Department). He was working on this weapon to aid Nalia against certain enemies who can't be taken down by just regular blasters.
  • Corpse Assault Rifle - Not all her weapons are legal. This assault rifle, also made by her late husband failed legal checks.
  • Gravity Grenades - Exactly as it sounds! It allows you to get an edge on enemies.

These are some artworks of characters that are still currently getting a art upgrade.

The Game is still a W.I.P but we hope to keep updating everyone as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Thank you! We are updating as much as we can. We had game play for when the game first started but it was felt that the art needed a new look.

Thank you for liking the artwork. We are working hard to make a great gameplay video. We had one from the past however it needed a massive overhaul in graphics and game play

Looks pretty good, but the buildings and ground look very noisy and messy. The buildings especially look like you're just painting over 3d models? They have a weird pre-rendered sort of look to them.

The charcter animations fare much better! Very satisfying looking run cycle and attacks.

Thank you for the feedback. though we are still trying things out for both character and environments. We hope to have some gameplay soon! We are also preparing to release an update about the different features we would like to have in the game as well.

Hey everyone new update!
With everything that has been going on during the week, i am glad to say that development is still going strong.
New features being added
  • Bounty System - This is part of the core experience of the game. As a bounty hunter, you have to take on small to large scale bounty missions. either to collect intel or to gain currency to purchase parts for upgrades and ammo.
  • Artwork
    • Nalia's assault rifle animations
    • Dark Priest - You may have seen him in our old gameplay demo that was posted on FB is not here is a link (). As it sounds he is a fallen priest from a planet that was lost. He can summon an army, Regenerate his health, as well as shoot fireballs at Nalia.
    • Guild of Knights (name not final) - This guild of knights were Warriors of the planet JJ-8k. They were the first Bounty Hunters not only from a different time but also the first to travel in a pack. The accepted the mission to find and kill the Dark Priest, however, there were never heard from again after they had set out.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Been a while since our last update and I wanted to update everyone on something. Here is an image that we are currently working on for the game. There will be one more area that will be added to this solar system.

This will be part of our exploration system, As a bounty hunter you will be able to visit other planets and go on bounty missions and even continue story progression as well!

Last edited:
It's a little too obvious what your main inspiration is, I think. Games that copy other successful games like this usually don't gain much traction. I'd think about ways to strongly differentiate your game from HLD soon.

Thought so :)

The art isn't the best, but it's definitely above average
And I really like tha latest picture you posted (star and some planets)
Thanks! Most of the artwork isnt final. The only one that is staying is the newer artwork of the main character with the animations. All others are being changed/upgraded. As is the gameplay isn't final.
Yea we are continuing to work with the planetary artwork, we hope to create an interesting universe.

It's a little too obvious what your main inspiration is, I think. Games that copy other successful games like this usually don't gain much traction. I'd think about ways to strongly differentiate your game from HLD soon.
We undertand where you are coming from. Though HLD is an inspiration it has changed a lot from the video that was posted. Especially the mechanics for the game. We really want to capture the bounty hunter feel as you explore various planets and environments.

Sounds good! =)
To be clear, I don't feel any love for HLD, so I'm not mad that you're borrowing from them. I've just seen plenty of games torn apart on Steam and other places for being too obviously inspired by other recent popular games - gamers are very cynical, and will think you're just trying to make money without doing the thinking for yourself unless you do enough to differentiate yourself from your source material.

Anyway, like I said earlier, the animations look good. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing where you guys take this. =)

Sounds good! =)
To be clear, I don't feel any love for HLD, so I'm not mad that you're borrowing from them. I've just seen plenty of games torn apart on Steam and other places for being too obviously inspired by other recent popular games - gamers are very cynical, and will think you're just trying to make money without doing the thinking for yourself unless you do enough to differentiate yourself from your source material.

Anyway, like I said earlier, the animations look good. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing where you guys take this. =)
Thank you! We hope that you keep checking back, theres definitely a bigger/better update on the way! :)

lolslayer

Thanks! Most of the artwork isnt final. The only one that is staying is the newer artwork of the main character with the animations. All others are being changed/upgraded. As is the gameplay isn't final.
Yea we are continuing to work with the planetary artwork, we hope to create an interesting universe.
Sounds great :)

N

N8Games

Looks really cool.

I really like the idea of a game with a bounty hunting mechanic in it. I had an idea for a game about a Bounty Hunter where you could take contracts to earn money on the side to upgrade your equipment while not working on the main story line. But I won't get around to developing that for another year or more. (Baby steps.)

Look forward to watching how this game progresses. Good luck.

Looks really cool.

I really like the idea of a game with a bounty hunting mechanic in it. I had an idea for a game about a Bounty Hunter where you could take contracts to earn money on the side to upgrade your equipment while not working on the main story line. But I won't get around to developing that for another year or more. (Baby steps.)

Look forward to watching how this game progresses. Good luck.
That is why we have planets implemented into this game. Since she is a bounty hunter, she will have to gain peoples trust to sometimes get sets of information. So we wanted bounty mission to feel like they are different than the others. There will also be other bounty hunters in this soar system but that's about all i can say about them!

Thanks I am glad you have an interest in how this game goes forward. We look forward to you and
everyone's feedback!

NEW UPDATE!
Although this is something small, we wanted to update our pages with more artwork!

Last remaining two are being worked on and we cant wait to start showing off her other abilities! Everyone's feedback is important to the team! Progress has been rather slow as far as development but it is only to ensure that we can look at each part we develop closely.

Here i also something that is being worked on, it isn't final as of yet but we hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
Wasn't aware that I had not posted this over the weekend as well!
On Saturday we did our very own #screenshotsaturday and we received a some great feedback from the twitter community.
Here is the finalized version of Nalia's attack animation.

Here is also the link to the twitter post.

https://twitter.com/DinoByteSoftwo1

Next Update!
Thank you to all who has been following the games progress thus far! We know its only been a short time but we want to give everyone more than just a gifs of animations. In the next coming weeks we will be updating you on animation, environment art (not a lot because we have to at least keep you in suspense on the journey you will go through :D ), and even enemy progressions. With that said, we are preparing something for everyone. A first glimpse gameplay of Bounty Nalia's Tale.

Thanks to those of you who took time to read this and we hope everyone keeps looking out for our future updates!

Last edited:
UPDATE TIME!

A new update for this thread. Here is a little something that I have been working on. More details need to be added before giving you a full video look but here is a small update! hope you like and keep following!

Hey guys a new update.
To focus more on quality the project is changing. For a while, I hoped that I can make something fun. The inspiration for the game is clear, so with that, I must take a different approach on this project. Which will take some time to do. I am glad and appreciate all the feedback that has been given thus far.

Bounty Nalia's Tale will continue soon.

Thanks.

NEW UPDATE!
Its been a few weeks but it was for a good reason. To focus more on the quality of what we are making.
Here is the first image since then. It is a concept piece of an area that is part of the first planet that Nalia visits.
Thank you to all of you who still follow the games development. I the coming weeks we will reveal a lot of art that has been in development, from concept art pieces like this one to even pixel art pieces and gameplay.
Stay Tuned!

Want to learn more about Nalia's journey as we get further in game development?
be sure to follow us on Facebook & Twitter.

Last edited:
Hey everone!
As we all know #screenshotsat is tomorrow. So there will be an update for the game. I cant tell you wat it is because I want it to be a surprise :)
So keep and eye out for the update!

First one for today! Hope we can update the second one by later tonight! While it may not be pixel art it is still relly cool! We really want to post a gameplay update but it isnt ready yet. Hope we get your continued support/feedback. More coming soon!

New update on the game.
Nalia's animationa are far from done. Here is a gif f her fighting some old enemies.
There are areas in this which need refining. with some more tlc, a lot of the features will be implimented and other current arts will be updated.

S

SpicyCrab

This is actually very promising, your sword swing animations are great. I think your hit could be juicier, I think you need additional hit stop, screen shake, etc... I think this project has a lot of potential...

I also noticed that your movement appears to have no friction value on it, meaning your character accelerates to max speed immediately rather than over the course of a few frames... which can make movement feel sticky and blocky. (maybe I have that wrong, could just be the GIF.)

Have you checked out this video:

WarpDogsVG

Really really love the artwork. The most immediate vibe is Hyper Light Drifter, which is of course a great thing. Definitely going to watch this one

@SpicyCrab Yeah there is a lot that it still needs, but glad you like the animations thus far. Its going to look even cooler once we add in other effects, areas, and updated enemies. The video was really good! Those points will help improve the game . Thank you for sharing the vid.

@WarpDogsVG Thanks! yeah get that a lot. Hope once we add in the other elements it would stand more on its own. loved the perspective of HLD seemed the best way to go about her story/worlds.

J

Jamblefoot

The artwork looks really great. Can't wait to see where it's headed and how the whole bounty hunting part works. There's so much character and personality in the figures and animations that you've shared that I almost feel like I know where the narrative is going. That may sound weird, but from what I'm seeing, your art style exudes confidence, which is never bad.

UPDATE TIME!
WOW! its been a good while since the last update here. Hope some of you still follow the development of Bounty Nalia's Tale. Be sure to give us a follow on our Twitter (https://twitter.com/dinobytesoftwo1?lang=en) and a like on our FB page (https://www.facebook.com/bountynaliastale/) so you can keep up with every update!

Please excuse our big friend. Although his animation isn't done, he is finally getting somewhere in terms of animation! We are excited to keep everyone updated with progression of the game. Wish we could show you some game play, but it just isn't ready yet.

So now that we are onto bigger enemies and bosses, we are getting closer to showing off a full game play reveal!
Until next time!