• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM Networking works locally but doesn't globally

S

Saito

UPDATE: The problem is fixed by changing the WAN Interface on my router, it turned out to be a wifi router issues instead.

Lately I've been trying to do an online game with Game Maker networking functions.

The game is working fine so far, I haven't encountered any fatal errors with the connection, at least when running locally.

But until I tried connecting through my WAN IP instead of local IP, my client was never able to connect.

YES, I HAVE PORT FORWARDED.

YES, MY PORT IS WORKING FINE, I EVEN USED SOME PORT LISTENERS TO CHECK AND IT'S WORKING FINE, PROOF: http://imgur.com/a/4N6lh

The problem is, when the server is up, it doesn't seem to be listening to the port at all. Even when the port listeners say fine, when I run the server, no reaction.

I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE THINKING THERE BUT IF OTHER PROGRAMS ARE USING THE SAME PORT THEN THE GAME WON'T EVEN WORK LOCALLY

I've seen topics about this issue on several forums, but people kept assuming this as a port forwarding problem.

Most of my codes are actually from HeartBeast and SlasherXGames tutorials, but I can upload if necessary.

And I'm using GMS1.4.1763

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueBurn

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you are trying to connect to your public IP from the same router where you are hosting the server, you will have to use the local IP.
If you are trying to connect the server from a different router, make sure have you have allowed your server in the firewall and also make sure you are using correct IP, because sometimes your public IP might be different.

Also have you tried to host a different application/game ?

Last edited:
S

Saito

Do example projects work for you? What's your testing procedure?
I've tested by letting the client connect to local host (127.0.0.1) and local IP address (192.168.x.x), both works fine but my WAN IP doesn't.

I've also used several port listener software to ensure that my port is opened correctly, I don't understand why.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you are trying to connect to your public IP from the same router where you are hosting the server, you will have to use the local IP.
If you are trying to connect the server from a different router, make sure have you have allowed your server in the firewall and also make sure you are using correct IP, because sometimes your public IP might be different.

Also have you tried to host a different application/game ?
Yes, I even turned my firewall off. I know how to get public IP and have also tested with other application as well.

The-any-Key

Do you have WiFi and an ethernet connected to the router? Ex sitting on a laptop?

Gm just choose a network card. So if you got 2 connections to the router you need to port forward both.

Also make sure your game is allowed in public networks in the firewall.

Port forward to the computer that hold the server. UDP and TCP.

You can't play online games on work or school networks/routers. They just block everything.

3G/4G dont allow incoming connections. So the server can't use it.

Client must allow public access to via the firewall.

Last edited:
S

Saito

Do you have WiFi and an ethernet connected to the router? Ex sitting on a laptop?

Gm just choose a network card. So if you got 2 connections to the router you need to port forward both.

Also make sure your game is allowed in public networks in the firewall.

Port forward to the computer that hold the server. UDP and TCP.

You can't play online games on work or school networks/routers. They just block everything.

3G/4G dont allow incoming connections. So the server can't use it.

Client must allow public access to via the firewall.
I believe that it's not a port forwarding problem, as I've already used port checkers to check it.

The thing is, when I'm listening to the port with other application, portcheckers would return "Open", but when I turned my Game server on, it returns nothing but connection time out.

S

Saito

UPDATE: The problem is fixed by changing the WAN Interface on my router, it turned out to be a wifi router issues instead.