• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion [Suggestion] A mini run code notepad for running snippets while coding.

J

jb skaggs

A neat idea (may have been implemented and I just didnt know it) but it would be cool to have a little mini terminal that run code snippets without running whole game, or having to create anew game.

SO why your coding you can test something and not lose work flow. of course it would have to have limitations. May not be feasable. But just an idea.

rIKmAN

A neat idea (may have been implemented and I just didnt know it) but it would be cool to have a little mini terminal that run code snippets without running whole game, or having to create anew game.

SO why your coding you can test something and not lose work flow. of course it would have to have limitations. May not be feasable. But just an idea.
You should try out GMLive - it allows you to write and compile GML in a web browser.

I haven't used it myself but it's a very impressive piece of work by @YellowAfterlife.

csanyk

I've had the same idea, asked for it, and was told the suggestion would not be adopted...

I still think being able to pop open a console that I can use to evaluate GML expressions would be a very handy sanity checker... I could use it to verify that a line of code does what I think it should do, without having to build and run the entire project. Which, as projects get larger, does become time consuming...

Maybe now that we're in the 2.x era, it's time for YYG to reconsider the viability of the suggestion.

Tsa05

Can't you run 2 copies of GameMaker at the same time?
Sure, it takes an extra 6 seconds to start up a second GM and set up a new object in a blank room, but once you've got that set up, there's your test console

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
is there a way to use GMLive offline?! like downloading the page... I usually spend a lot of time... offline from time to time... and that way i could create code and run it to test it... even in a android tablet and even being offline that would be great! Does anyone knows if it is possible?! :D

gnysek

is there a way to use GMLive offline?! like downloading the page... I usually spend a lot of time... offline from time to time... and that way i could create code and run it to test it... even in a android tablet and even being offline that would be great! Does anyone knows if it is possible?! :D
Probably if you download whole page with scripts, and run on local server, it should work (some HTML knowledge may be need). Ask @YellowAfterlife.

csanyk

I didn't know GMLive existed, but it looks interesting. Thanks for sharing :)

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
You'd have to set up and configure a local web server accordingly (having correct config both for GMS games and for GMLive editor).
I've had some plans about it (including simplifying the required config and making an offline version), but, unfortunately, the total amount of donations that I've received for weeks of work here remains to be $26, so further development is currently limited to anything in my own interests or made for related projects.
My sincere apologies.

J

jb skaggs

You'd have to set up and configure a local web server accordingly (having correct config both for GMS games and for GMLive editor).
I've had some plans about it (including simplifying the required config and making an offline version), but, unfortunately, the total amount of donations that I've received for weeks of work here remains to be $26, so further development is currently limited to anything in my own interests or made for related projects.
My sincere apologies.
Hmmm. I wonder if you couldnt just sell it as a add on tool? I mean Ive never heard about it before and I bet many others havent either, but it sounds like a useful tool worth purchasing.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Hmmm. I wonder if you couldnt just sell it as a add on tool? I mean Ive never heard about it before and I bet many others havent either, but it sounds like a useful tool worth purchasing.
Probably could, though at what pricepoint? Assuming that it'd function more or less the same as existing version but would work offline on PC.

J

jb skaggs

Well I havent used the online version yet- but if works as promised $10 to $15 seems reasonable for a local version that could be run without internet access. Especially f you live where I do where internet is not reliable.

S

Storyteller

Id be quite happy with some kind of print or debug_write function myself

S

Storyteller

omg I search for a function like that for almost an hour the other night before I just figured they didnt have one
mind you its named terribly, but at least it will work, that is super useful!
thx

rIKmAN

omg I search for a function like that for almost an hour the other night before I just figured they didnt have one
mind you its named terribly, but at least it will work, that is super useful!
thx
Wrap it in a script and then you can call it whatever you want.
I agree it's named poorly and way too long - I wrap it and use DebugLog() personally.