• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

UWP Can't run UWP projects HELP PLEASE

Underground

Hi, I'm trying to get UWP module to work, but can't test or compile any project.
I get this error on the output:
Code:
Package creation succeeded.

C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe DONE
C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c ""C:/Program Files (x86)/Windows Kits/10/bin/x86\signtool.exe" sign /a /v /fd SHA256 /f "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.5.49\WindowsUAP\WinUWPRunner_TemporaryKey.pfx" "C:\Users\Fran\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\test_5286FC75_VM\test.appx""
The following certificate was selected:
    Issued to: Sandbox

Issued by: Sandbox

Expires:   Fri Dec 31 00:00:00 2100

SHA1 hash: C87C1BB80B2048BBDAA8A331A20F32402109B863

Done Adding Additional Store
Error information: "Error: SignerSign() failed." (-2147024885/0x8007000b)
SignTool Error: An unexpected internal error has occurred.

C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe exited with non-zero status (1)
elapsed time 00:00:07.7885068s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.5.49/bin/Igor.exe" -options="C:\Users\Fran\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\build.bff"  -- WinUWP Run started at 03/06/2017 17:33:50
FAILED : Run Program Complete
I followed the guide to set up UWP desktop.

The project is an empty room, only for test.

I'm on 2.0.5.49 runtime and 2.0.5.74 IDE
Windows 10 pro 64

Any idea what could be the problem?

Regards,
Fran

Underground

Looking up the MS info on that tool https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/jj835835(v=vs.85).aspx

It could be that the Publisher Name is not set correctly in the Options for the game

Russell
As I'm only trying to test, I left all the default data in the game options.

This works fine on GM:S 1.4 on the same computer with all the default data.
In GM:S 1.4 there is a field in GGS to insert the publisher name along with the certificate key.pfx , but in GMS 2 this field is not there....

Regards,
Fran

EDIT:

I´m trying making my own pfx file for an App that I already published and live in the store for winphone8, so I associated it to a blank project in VS and created the appname_StoreKey.pfx and appname_TemporaryKey.pfx
When I try to add any of these files to the packaging option and install, nothing changes, the Apply button remains inactive, and the file isn´t added to the project.
Can´t compile, again same error log.

Last edited:

Underground

Hi Fran - could you follow the steps after this bit

"To search the event log"

on the page Russell linked (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/jj835835(v=vs.85).aspx) and reply with details of the error you find?

Pete.
Hi Pete.

I've just make a new project, let default UWP settings, play in test mode, and got the same error in GMS2 output.
In the event viewer appears an error with event id 150, and this explanation:
"error 0x8007000B: The app manifest publisher name (CN=YoyoGames) must match the subject name of the signing certificate (CN=Sandbox)."

EDIT to add more tests.
Make a new project, generate a certificate in VS and associated with an app in the store, download the pfx file and put into GMS2, fill all the data in Game Options and make an executable for store.

Watch the error in event viewer and get this result:
Event id 150.
"error 0x8007000B: The app manifest publisher name (CN=YoyoGames) must match the subject name of the signing certificate (CN=here_goes_my_publisher_id)."

Seems that GMS2 always try to run with YoyoGames publisher name. In GM:S 1.4 there is a field to change the publisher name, but there isn´t in GMS2 (at least I can´t find it).

Regards,
Fran

Last edited:

Underground

Please, I need some feedback on this.
Is it a general problem with the UWP module or are you compiling/testing to UWP without any trouble? If so, what could be the cause that I can´t run to UWP?

I´ve just reinstalled GMS2 from fresh, and still get the same errors. Please, some help would be so much appreciated.

Regards,
Fran

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin

Underground

Okay, I can build for UWP fine, so it's not a general issue... Before going any further, have you set everything up following this article exactly? https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001100548-Setting-Up-UWP-For-Windows-10-Desktop

If you have, and still nothing works, then I would suggest filing a helpdesk support ticket here, giving the compiler log output and your system specs (as shown in the Help > About window in GMS2).
Thanks Nocturne.
So it must be some kind of trouble with my setup.

My system is a laptop ( i3-3110M, 4Gb, intel HD4000 graphics) with a W10 pro clean installation, only has installed GMS2, Visual Studio Comunity 2015, Android SDK/NDK, and Java JDK. I followed the steps on the article.
Also installed GM:S 1.4 master (UWP export runs fine in this release).

I noticed that when I introduce the path to the PFX signing certificate, clicking on the Install button does nothing. On GM:S 1.4 this action open the power shell window and requires the user to allow the install of the developer certificate. On GMS2 nothing happens, no power shell, no messages, no feedback saying what is going wrong....
I run GMS2 in admin mode.

As the compiling errors are related to the publisher name and certificate, I think that the problem probably came due to the PFX install issue.
What do you think?
Any idea what can I test or should do now?

I´m going to reinstall Visual Studio, just in case. Also I´m going to set up all programs in my wife´s laptop (my desktop PC hasn´t W10).

It´s so frustrating....

Thanks
Regards,
Fran

Underground

I´ve reinstalled Visual Studio and the W10 SDKs, also I´ve installed the steam release for GMS2 UWP, and the error persists, nothing changed.

I´ve opened a helpdesk ticket. Hopefully someone could give me some idea of what could be wrong. I don´t know what else to do.

Regards
Fran.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I´ve opened a helpdesk ticket. Hopefully someone could give me some idea of what could be wrong. I don´t know what else to do.
Was just about to suggest that... Something is definitely screwy with the signing and it can only be resolved by YYG. Please post here when you have anything to update to help future users if you can. :)

Underground

Well, just tested GMS2 on my wife´s laptop, and got exactly the same errors.

I´ve received answer from YYG:

This issue is known and is present in our Bug Database.

The issue is fixed in the Early Access version of GameMaker: Studio and work is being done to roll out this fix to GameMaker Studio 2 as well.
The timescale for this is not known but will appear in a future build.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.
Kind Regards,
Kevin
YoYo Games Customer Support Technician
I can´t access the link, permissions denied, so I couldn´t read it.
Hope this could be solved soon. It´s so frustrating not being able to use this module.

Regards,
Fran

rIKmAN

Well, just tested GMS2 on my wife´s laptop, and got exactly the same errors.

I´ve received answer from YYG:

I can´t access the link, permissions denied, so I couldn´t read it.
Hope this could be solved soon. It´s so frustrating not being able to use this module.

Regards,
Fran
@Mike @rwkay

How did GMS2 come out beta with the UWP export completely broken and the Android exporter not creating keystore files?

Will the discount be extended on these modules until they work or are we expected to pay nearly £200 each for modules that don't function properly?

That doesn't seem very reasonable.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Because neither are completely broken but only for a small subset in particular circumstances, which we are fixing.

And reasonably we are fixing the issues and will have a new updated version (on a regular basis, to fix issues as they come along) it's not like we are saying tough and wait for GMS3 to come out.

Russell

rIKmAN

Because neither are completely broken but only for a small subset in particular circumstances, which we are fixing.

And reasonably we are fixing the issues and will have a new updated version (on a regular basis, to fix issues as they come along) it's not like we are saying tough and wait for GMS3 to come out.

Russell
In the OP @Underground says he cannot compile an empty room project.
That doesn't seem like a small subset of users in specific circumstances.

Is it related to his OS, his particular hardware, or just the UWP exporter not working in general? (which would then qualify as 'completely broken' to me, and I ask as I have the same OS)

I appreciate there will be updates, but the reply OP got says there is no timescale, it'll appear in future and tells him it's fixed in GMS1 EA.

It must be beyond frustrating when you've spend a decent chunk of change on the UWP exporter and it simply doesn't work and has issues that surely should have been found before coming out of beta?

Is it planned for the UWP exporter be fixed before April 9th?
Externally I mean, not internally and coming soon.

Thanks for your reply and time.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
If you actually read it he says he has 2 machines, one it works on one that it does not (his wife's) - in our experience it is a small set that it does not work on. In my experience it is working on all the machines that I have tested it on here at the office (outside of that I cannot say as I do not have access to every machine on the planet).

Our release cycles are dictated by QA (not development) so I cannot tell you exactly when it will come out, but I know we are looking for something before the end of March, but that may slip for many reasons as we only have a small QA team

Russell

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
If you actually read it he says he has 2 machines, one it works on one that it does not (his wife's) - in our experience it is a small set that it does not work on. In my experience it is working on all the machines that I have tested it on here at the office (outside of that I cannot say as I do not have access to every machine on the planet).

Our release cycles are dictated by QA (not development) so I cannot tell you exactly when it will come out, but I know we are looking for something before the end of March, but that may slip for many reasons as we only have a small QA team

Russell
If the releases are dictated by the QA team, perhaps you can ask one or two of them to join the GMC?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
They are here... lurking in the dark corners...

I just wish we had more of them... that is the answer...

Russell

rIKmAN

Russell
I did read it, and nowhere does he state that GMS2 works on either his or his wife's computer - he says that UWP works when using GMS1 and that GMS2 gives the same errors on both his and his wife's machines, even after reinstalling the software and SDKs.

@Nocturne says he can compile for UWP just fine but doesn't state his system specs or OS, and you say it works fine on a range of computers but again no specs or OS details.

Can anyone that doesn't work for YYG confirm the UWP works out the box?

I appreciate the QA team might be small, but if this is a wider issue and it is in fact broken for all, then this is something that really should have been caught - it's failing to compile and empty room.

Have you ever thought of using some of the more experienced members of the GMC who would be willing as external QA testers?

Underground

If you actually read it he says he has 2 machines, one it works on one that it does not (his wife's) -
No Russell, it didn´t work in any of the 2 machines. Both exactly with the same error. GM:S 1.4/early access last release is that is working well.

@Nocturne said that UWP module is working fine for him, and seems that other users are compiling UWP projects correctly.
Don´t know what can it be the cause, if its related to something with my laptops, or some other causes.

Kevin just tell me this:

Mar 17, 12:29 GMT
Hi,
Here is the contents of the Bug I had linked to:

Currently using the default ceritificate location for Windows UWP doesn't allow you to install or run the Windows UWP target as this ceritifcate seems to be invalid or broken. The default value for this field changes between whether the project was imported or a GMS2 project.

In Imported Studio projects: WinUWPRunner_TemporaryKey.pfx

In GMS2 projects: ${base_options_dir}\windowsuap\keys\WinUAPRunner_TemporaryKey.pfx

Correct location: CurrentRuntime\windowsuap\WinUWPRunner_TemporaryKey.pfx
Given your logs, this is the most likely cause of your issue.
Kind Regards,
Kevin
So seems that the bug/issue is located, and has previously been reported from more users. I hope that can also be solved in a short amount of days.

rIKmAN

It is already solved internally - just waiting for a QA cycle to release

EDIT: And at least this guy seems to have gotten UWP working https://twitter.com/Big_macca_101/status/841978757162328065 outside of YoYo Towers

Russell
Was the issue you fixed internally related to a certain OS version, certain hardware incompatibility, or a bug in GMS2 itself?

I'm assuming it's not the latter as I don't see how the guy on Twitter you posted about could have got it working himself if it was something that needed fixing on your end, and if it's the former I would like to know if my setup is one which would cause issues as it stands? Win 10 Pro 64bit.

I know the GMS1 UWP module works fine as I have used and tested that to deploy to my XB1, but I don't want to purchase the GMS2 module until it works so hopefully an update will be rolled out before the discount offer expires.

YoYo Towers - nice lol!

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
No the problem was related to the extraction of the PublisherName from the certificate that has been created, if the default certificate is used then all is fine

Russell

rIKmAN

No the problem was related to the extraction of the PublisherName from the certificate that has been created, if the default certificate is used then all is fine

Russell
OK, sounds like it shouldn't be an issue for me as using the default certificate in GMS1 works fine on my XB1.

Thanks for your time and the replies, it's appreciated.

@Underground - You should try using the default certificates to see if you can then compile using those, or do you require using your own?

Underground

Russell
But this is not valid for me, I can't run UWP even using the default certificate. I'm always receiving the same error.

@Underground - You should try using the default certificates to see if you can then compile using those, or do you require using your own?
First times I used the default certificate, when I see that this isn't working, I tryed with personal certificates, generating them as described on the docs.

Underground

Just testing the UWP module with the latest update, and still have the same issue.
Now I'm able to install the certificates, but when trying to run or compile the project, the same error is displayed, and the same log on the event viewer, even using a blank project with the default cert.
I'm so frustrated with this. Please I need help to solve this issue @rwkay .

Underground

GMS2 ALWAYS put in the manifest the name of CN=YoyoGames, and ALWAYS use WinUWPRunner_TemporaryKey.pfx even when another pfx is installed. The log in event manager is that the name of publisher (CN=YoyoGames) don't match with the name of the cert (CN=Sandbox).

I've tryed to rename my own pfx file (the one created with VS, and that is working fine in GM:S1.4 ) to WinUWPRunner_TemporaryKey.pfx and install it. Now the log says that the name of publisher (CN=YoyoGames) don't match with the name of the cert (CN=Fran) Thisi is the name of the personal cert. So I think that GMS2 don't asign correctly the names for the files to use, and is getting some kind of default values.

What do you think? Could be some kind of trouble with folders, or permissions ? I'm running GMS2 in admin mode.

Underground

Hope that someone reading this could help me please... @rwkay @Mike @TalkyLemon

More testing:

I made a new certificate in VS, I put "YoyoGames" as the publisher name. Rename the file to WinUWPRunner_TemporaryKey.pfx, overwrite the file locaten inside /runtime-2.0.6.93/windowsuap/ with it, and finally install this pfx from Game Options on GMS2.
Now the proyect runs fine on test mode (the output say that the certtificate selected is issued to YoyoGames, and signs the app correctly).

Thats ok, TEST MODE runs fine on both laptop and XB1 ONLY when using a certificate signed to YoyoGames, but doesn´t when another name is used (including the one that comes with the runtime, that is signed to Sandbox).

Next test is try to compile the final appx. So I push the build icon select Package an x64 build. Seems to work fine, BUT the package created is x86 instead of the selected x64. App installs and runs fine on the laptop but launch an outdated app error on XB1 (I think was due to be an x86 build, and XB1 needs x64 builds). Trying to create an ARM package, and again an x86 package is created (it installs on the laptop...)

So trying to build an x64 or ARM packages, ALWAYS create an x86 package instead.

Please, need help with this. Any ideas?
IMO looks like somewhere a kind of settings or options file is not saving or reading well..... I only found a reference to CN=YoyoGames and its inside Igor.exe (perhaps could be on more places too...).
I tryed also to change attributes to ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2 folders, with same results.

GMS2: IDE v2.0.6.136 Runtime v2.0.6.93
Laptop W10 Pro 64
VS community 2015 (v14.0.25431.01 update 3)

Building to windows target platform and min versions: 10.0.10240.0 (just in case it makes a difference...)

Regards,
Fran

Underground

More testing:

I have edit the base AppxManifest.xml in gamemakerstudio2/cache/runtimes/runtime-2.0.6.96/windowsuap/x86/ and change the key Publisher="${YYPublisherCN}" for Publisher="CN=Sandbox" (Sandbox is the publisher of the Temporary pfx file that comes with GMS2).
This change let me run and compile the appx without any error, building x86 packages.
If I edit the same AppxManifest but on the x64 folder, and try to compile a x64 package, still compiles a x86 appx instead.

So I copy all the content of the x64 folder, and copy it to the x86 folder. Now I compile selecting a x86 package, and the result is a valid x64 appx that I can load it to my Xbox one and runs fine.

I think that if I change manually the name of the pfx file on the AppxManifest.xml file, to the name of my personal pfx file, and put my publisher name, it will work. (not tryed yet, but I will do it ASAP).

-- GMS2 is always getting Publisher="CN=YoyoGames" and WinUWPRunner_TemporaryKey.pfx to compile any projects.
-- GMS2 is always compiling targeting the options/files on the x86 runtime folder.

But I don't know why my GMS2 install is doing these.....
Please, any clues @rwkay @Mike @TalkyLemon ???

Regards,
Fran

Underground

Well, I've just updated my desktop PC to Windows 10 Pro, and I have all the same issues with the UWP module that I have on the laptops. :-(

S

StefanDNS

Hello,

Russell i am going to prove you wrong uwp don't work out of the box as your guide kinda sucks and some stuff is missing on what you need to do. It might have been update now but when i got uwp export i had figure it out my self as your guide was no help.

I am having same issues as you now and then undergound with is failing to run on xbox this is a major issues along with the cursor not turning off. If you like i can try help you fix it as game maker staff don't seem to care about the issue form reading this post.

Electros

@StefanDNS Just a note that I had XBox deployment behaving erratically a few weeks back - for some reason my clock had been set to a different time on the XBox, fixing that sorted the issue. Might not be the same for you, but possibly worth checking.

Cursor issue is logged here:

http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=26905

I hope it gets fixed soon, but I think the YYG team must have a mountain of fixes, features and updates to get through for GMS2!

thebigf80

I'm new to GMS (got the Rebundle from HumbleBundle) and I bought the UWP module yesterday to use the upgrade discount,... installed VS2015, as VS2017 is not working, and now I get the exact same error as the Threadopenener -> UWP does not work with a simple 1 sprite 2 min project.
Has anyone a solution or an idea? I'm using latest IDE 2.1 and latest runtime.

Underground

Just test the new update (IDE 2.1.0.207 and RT 2.1.0.135).

STILL AN ISSUE:
-- GMS2 is always getting Publisher="CN=YoyoGames" to compile any projects.
This is still an issue, and causes a signing error when compiling.
It can be manually solved as I said before, by editing the base AppxManifest.xml file placed in gamemakerstudio2/cache/runtimes/runtime_you_are_using/windowsuap/x86/ and changing the key Publisher="${YYPublisherCN}" for Publisher="CN=yourPublisheName", where "yourPublisheName" is that your pfx was signed, you can get it from your Microsoft dev account settings, it appears as CN=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx.... or if you are testing with VS, you enter it manually on VS configs.
(Repeat this change on x64 and arm folders also).

In GM:S1.4 there is a field on the UWP GGS settings, where you can manually enter your publisher name.
So, why didn't put this field on GMS2 and link this manifest variable to it as GM:S1.4 does? I think it will be a very simple way to solve this issue.

Solved in this release:
-- GMS2 is always getting WinUWPRunner_TemporaryKey.pfx to compile any projects.

Now seems that the user´s pfx file is properly used.

-- GMS2 is always compiling targeting the options/files on the x86 runtime folder.

Tested and now is working fine, the choosen architecture is built (at least x86 and x64, I can´t test arm).

Regards,
Fran

thebigf80

@Underground Thank you for your help and investigation. With your hotfix of changing the AppxManifest.xml manually I got UWP to compile my testproject.

In the current form the UWP module is BROKEN!!! as the workaround is not an easy to find out thing.

I just reported this bug at the yoyogames website, as it does not seem to have been in their mantis before.

Underground

@Underground Thank you for your help and investigation. With your hotfix of changing the AppxManifest.xml manually I got UWP to compile my testproject.

In the current form the UWP module is BROKEN!!! as the workaround is not an easy to find out thing.

I just reported this bug at the yoyogames website, as it does not seem to have been in their mantis before.

You are wellcome @thebigf80 , I'm happy that this helped you.

Stewart from YoYo QA Department, said me that they have filed this bug and are on the way to solve it:
http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=27624

and now appears as assigned, so I hope that it will be solved soon.

Regards,
Fran

K12gamer

Just realized I have the UWP module for GMS 1....from a Humble Bundle I forgot I purchased a long while back. :D

Been scouring through the internet all night (watching videos, reading articles etc)...trying to get it working.
It's easier making the actual games than it is trying to figure out how to Package / Upload games to the Windows App store.

Did Microsoft make it hard on purpose...to weed out low level programmers (like me?) :(

( @Underground )...Your last post to this thread was 4 months ago...Did you get any updated fixes for UMP in GMS 2?

Underground

@K12gamer , YYG just resolve the issues with the UWP module in GMS2 on release 2.1.3.272 (...december?).
They added the field to manual enter your publisher name (as it was on GM:S1.4).

K12gamer

@K12gamer , YYG just resolve the issues with the UWP module in GMS2 on release 2.1.3.272 (...december?).
They added the field to manual enter your publisher name (as it was on GM:S1.4).
Cool...I'll try to figure out how to use the GMS 1 UWP first...then maybe update to the GMS 2 version next year.

Glad you have games published on a variety of platforms. Do you plan to release any games in the Win 10 store for PC Desktop?
Once I get the UWP figured out...that's the platform / location where I'd like to target my games.

Note: Your game MineRailsRush looks good...

Last edited:

Underground

Thanks, glad that you like my little game. I have so little time last months to work on my projects, but yes, W10 Store is a interesting target.