• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Audio crashes game on exit

W

Wraithious

Hi, I'm having a strange problem with audio in my game, but only when exiting the game, it crashes and the 'windows is checking for a solution' window pops up and crashes the game, i have declaired audio_stop_all(); then game_end(); and even tried putting game_end(); in an alarm after but still the same issue, if I don't play the music there is no problem. any ideas?

More info-
2 low quality sounds of setting quality 2 and lowest compression setting,
and 3 mp3s of setting quality 2 and the high compression option checked,
And i call audio_stop_all(); before calling audio_play_sound(sound0,5,1);

W

Wraithious

Also the problem does not occur when compiling to android

If it can help this is my compile log:
Compile started: 7:04:56 PM
"C:\Users\compname\AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio-Early-Access\GMAssetCompiler.exe" /c /m=win /config="Default" /tgt=64 /obob=True /obpp=False /obru=True /obes=False /i=3 /j=4 /cvm /tp=1024 /mv=1 /iv=0 /rv=0 /bv=525 /gn="Space S" /td="C:\Users\compname\AppData\Local" /cd="C:\Users\compname\Documents\GameMaker\Cache" /sh=True /dbgp="6502" /hip="127.0.0.1" /hprt="51268" /o="C:\Users\compname\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_78174\gm_ttt_15419" "C:\Users\compname\Documents\GameMaker\Examples\Space S.gmx\Space S.project.gmx"

Reading project file....finished.
Compile Constants...finished.
Remove DnD...finished.
Compile Scripts...finished.
Compile Objects...finished.
Compile Timelines...finished.
Compile Triggers...finished.
Compile Rooms...finished.
Compile Extensions...finished.
Global scripts...finished.
Final Compile...finished.
Saving IFF file... C:\Users\compname\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_78174\gm_ttt_15419\Space S.win
Writing Chunk... GEN8
Writing Chunk... OPTN
Writing Chunk... LANG
Writing Chunk... EXTN
Writing Chunk... SOND
*writing audio file C:\Users\compname\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_78174\gm_ttt_15419\sound0.ogg...
*writing audio file C:\Users\compname\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_78174\gm_ttt_15419\sound1.ogg...
*writing audio file C:\Users\compname\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_78174\gm_ttt_15419\sound2.ogg...
*writing audio file C:\Users\compname\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_78174\gm_ttt_15419\sound3.ogg...
*writing audio file C:\Users\compname\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_78174\gm_ttt_15419\sound4.ogg...
Writing Chunk... AGRP
Writing Chunk... SPRT
Writing Chunk... BGND
Writing Chunk... PATH
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... GLOB
Writing Chunk... SHDR
Writing Chunk... FONT
Writing Chunk... TMLN
Writing Chunk... OBJT
Writing Chunk... ROOM
Writing Chunk... DAFL
Writing Chunk... TPAGE
Writing Chunk... CODE
Writing Chunk... VARI
Writing Chunk... FUNC
Writing Chunk... STRG
Writing Chunk... TXTR
0 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_0.png...
1 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_1.png...
2 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_2.png...
3 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_3.png...
4 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_4.png...
5 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_5.png...
6 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_6.png...
7 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_7.png...
8 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_8.png...
Writing Chunk... AUDO
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... DBGI
Writing Chunk... INST
Writing Chunk... LOCL
Writing Chunk... STRG
Stats : GMA : Elapsed=3951.2249
Stats : GMA : sp=32,au=7,bk=15,pt=0,sc=1,sh=0,fo=0,tl=0,ob=17,ro=2,da=0,ex=1,ma=16,fm=0x4092854DB82064
Asset Compile finished: 7:05:06 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------
executing C:\Users\compname\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_78174\gm_ttt_15419\Space S.win
-----------------------------------------------------------
"C:\Users\compname\AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio-Early-Access\Runner.exe" -game "C:\Users\compname\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_78174\gm_ttt_15419\Space S.win"

Attempting to set gamepadcount to 12
Total memory used = 12655114(0x00c11a0a) bytes
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 0
Compile finished: 7:20:17 PM

And a visual of my sounds setup, but look how most are red in the tree list (pic on the left) and one is green, the one that's green has a volume slider on it, and the rest don't.
sounds.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Try cleaning the build. If that doesn't work, try loading the audio in a new project and see if you can recreate the issue.

W

Wraithious

Try cleaning the build. If that doesn't work, try loading the audio in a new project and see if you can recreate the issue.
ok thanks I'll try to re create it, I've tried deleting all the audio and re loading it, restarting my computer, it's really weird i haven't had much trouble with audio in projects since I learned the new audio engine, unless something changed in v1. 99. 525

W

Wraithious

Hmmm well i made a test project and theres no audio crash problem, i'll have to go code block thru codeblock over the entire project (again), it's gotta be some weird error i made, just gotta find it.

L

LV154

Hmmm well i made a test project and theres no audio crash problem, i'll have to go code block thru codeblock over the entire project (again), it's gotta be some weird error i made, just gotta find it.
I'm having a similar issue with this now. Did you ever get around to resolving it?

L

LV154

Apologies for bumping this thread but I wanted to ask whether or not external files should be preloaded or not. If I'm loading, playing and deleting sounds on demand, what exactly does "preloading" so, and does it hold any relevance to the issue?