Legacy GM Why image is ragged while rotating and how to create settings box

P

ProExCurator

On the right is how it SHOULD look all the time while rotating and on the left is how it looks in game. Why is it looks like that?

And second question is how can I create application which gives possibility to set resolution and stuff... just like in Hotline Miami settings.

Help please?

P

ProExCurator

Well then this is really strange, because in Hotline Miami there is no such a thing and this character sprite I'm using is exacly the same as in Hotline Miami.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

ProExCurator

Its not strange. You're simply using a lower resolution version of their sprite.
So I tested it and it looks like you were right, thanks.
Too bad that it means that I have to change a lot of sprites... and other stuff...

but still... I don't know how to make this "settings box".

RangerX

Like I said, if you learn about scaling and how to code it for you game, coding an option for setting stuff up will become clear to you.

Last edited:
P

ProExCurator

So this window with settings is made by coding in game maker? If so then I'm suprised. I didn't expected it to be just another "objects" into some "room". It's looks more like something programmed in Microsoft Visual Studio or something...

RangerX

This is indeed done in something else than GameMaker.
Where are you going with that exactly?

I thought you meant for an option IN-GAME for messing with windows, fullscreen, resolution, etc.
I made one in The Life Ruby.

P

ProExCurator

This is indeed done in something else than GameMaker.
Where are you going with that exactly?

I thought you meant for an option IN-GAME for messing with windows, fullscreen, resolution, etc.
I made one in The Life Ruby.
Yea thats what I meant, but as you say you couldn't see images in first post, so thats why we had misunderstanding here ;]

RangerX

If you're not much experienced with game making I wouldn't bother making such an outside setting window.
Have options in your game. Just my 2 cents ;)

P

ProExCurator

If you're not much experienced with game making I wouldn't bother making such an outside setting window.
Have options in your game. Just my 2 cents ;)
Yea, I'm totally a beginner, I'm trying to make my first game ;)

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
wink wink

I wouldnt call it an outside setting window, I'd call it room one lol.
Isn't there a setting in game maker so that sprites get smoothed ?

E

Ethanicus

I turned off the application surface and everything in my game rotates smoothly. Give it a try perhaps?

P

ProExCurator

wink wink

I wouldnt call it an outside setting window, I'd call it room one lol.
Isn't there a setting in game maker so that sprites get smoothed ?
Do you know maybe where is that setting?

I turned off the application surface and everything in my game rotates smoothly. Give it a try perhaps?
Like this?
Code:
application_surface_enable(false);
If so then it doesn't help :(

RangerX

The application surface on/off have nothing to do with this all. I explained to you already, its a resolution thing and nothing else.
The more pixels available, the more the rotated image will be represented with fidelity.

And the other window is not created by GameMaker (if entirely functional). GMS (vanilla) doesn't have a function to call something regarding Alienware.

sp202

Hotline Miami (the updated version) uses a custom engine which I believe is based on/integrated with Sony's Phyre Engine. It is entirely possible to create something that is visually and functionally the same as the launcher in Game Maker but it would take more effort than it took the devs and I honestly don't know why you'd want a launcher anyway. As a gamer I'd much prefer these settings to be in-game.

P

ProExCurator

Hotline Miami (the updated version) uses a custom engine which I believe is based on/integrated with Sony's Phyre Engine. It is entirely possible to create something that is visually and functionally the same as the launcher in Game Maker but it would take more effort than it took the devs and I honestly don't know why you'd want a launcher anyway. As a gamer I'd much prefer these settings to be in-game.
That makes sense.

The application surface on/off have nothing to do with this all. I explained to you already, its a resolution thing and nothing else.
The more pixels available, the more the rotated image will be represented with fidelity.

And the other window is not created by GameMaker (if entirely functional). GMS (vanilla) doesn't have a function to call something regarding Alienware.
I know that resolution is a thing here, I admitted that you're right before.

I'm just looking for some way to make it look even better/smoother ;]

RangerX

Was just straightening the thread because people are answering all sorts of crap lol (no offense)
Your next solution is: 128x128 :)

E

Ethanicus

Was just straightening the thread because people are answering all sorts of crap lol (no offense)
Your next solution is: 128x128 :)
I'm honestly just confused because in my game my port is the size of the display, and I only turned off the application surface and everything went sharp a rotated like in Hotline Miami. I may be missing something on this thread that prevents that though.

RangerX

My guess is that you just found a way to scale your game properly so the graphic interpolation did not kick in. Anyhow, ;)