• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

GM2 - Project Wiped

J

jop

I'm working on a game for Global Game Jam and upon saving and relaunching, all files in my project were rendered blank. The images for cache are in my %appdata% but all objects and all files for the objects contain event information they had previously but no code. (http://i.imgur.com/gpCQLaI.png) I've looked in the actual files themselves and all of them are 1-2kb in size, none of them containing code. (http://i.imgur.com/PRfTLQR.png)

I've since tried backing up and reimporting them, but they're well and truly gone it seems. Is there anything I can do in this situation, or did I just have the misfortune for GSM2 to have completely eaten my project?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

W

Wraithious

in the folder your game is saved to, are the assets still there like sprites and backgrounds etc? and their related .gmx files? I dont have gms2 but that happened to me in gms1, all the assets were there but in the Configs folder the Default.config.gmx file was corrupted, so i looked at projects gmx files with the missing stuff and edited it into the file (just changing the names), it took a long time but it saved my game. it says not to modify those files so make a copy of what's left (if anything) in the Default.config.gmx file first.

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
First of all, GMS 2 is meant for testing, not for production. It's still in early stages of development, so things like this might happen. Using an unstable software for a Jam is a bad idea.

Also, if you didn't store backup copies of the project, either locally or using an online service, then you might be in some serious trouble.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Very odd that every code block is blank, while the events themselves are still shown.

You didn't by accident set the text color to the background color? (OK, I realize that's a long shot.)

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Have never seen this. Can you please file it as a bug and make sure to include as much info as you can. What the last thing you were doing was, did it shut down properly, where you stored the project, are the files on disk totally gone and so on. Also make sure to include the LOG file.

rIKmAN

Last edited:

Agneum

Have never seen this. Can you please file it as a bug and make sure to include as much info as you can. What the last thing you were doing was, did it shut down properly, where you stored the project, are the files on disk totally gone and so on. Also make sure to include the LOG file.
I've had this happen to me as well. All I remember is that I

1) Had imported a GM 1.4 project and continued with it.
2) I had tried clicked "save as" and saved to a different location (I believe from my dropbox folder to desktop). It sort of happened while I was still in the IDE, I clicked on a script and noticed it was empty, then I quit an reopened the project and all the .yy files were completely blank, but GMS still showed the objects and names.

I still can't pinpoint as to exactly what happened in order to reproduce the bug.. but I will do some more testing and see what I can come up with. This is definately a bug of sorts.