• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Suggestion: Laptop Mode

S

Storyteller

Could you make left or right alt/shift/etc a preference for laptop mode control?
I have to do odd kung-fu on my laptop to use the left side.
Further, can you shrink the UI a bit?
Minimize or minimalist the icons, ui borders etc, a lot of screen real estate is taken up by 'pretty boxes' and they are pretty, but do not really help one get to the game making part.
Laptop mode could be a bit more streamlined to take up less screen space, and letting us select which side of the keyboard to use for panning and scrolling would be great.

babyjeans

I am curious as to the reason for this, could you please elaborate?
Perhaps he's left handed... but I'd like this feature also, I use the left ctrl/alt keys for ctrl/alt functionality via muscle memory. It'd be nice to use the right ones for scroll/zoom instead.

Also use an 11" Laptop with a touchpad for convenience, so while yes, I can use a laptop mouse, I prefer not to sometimes.. that's for my 15" Laptop days ;)

Jobo

GMC Elder
There can certainly be made some improvements or adjustments in this area, but it all depends on feedback - and lots of people agreeing on the same thing, not just one user's opinion (so I am very keen on hearing everyone's opinions). Most of this will vary with users, but if there's an accessibility issue then that is something to prioritize (even if it is just one user mentioning it, e.g. a left-handed mode).

Personally I would like some improvements for laptop mode on a touch device (such as a Surface Pro) so you automatically pan around if you just click the workspace, for example (without holding ALT). I think that could be quite nice, on touch input only.

babyjeans

Personally I would like some improvements for laptop mode on a touch device (such as a Surface Pro) so you automatically pan around if you just click the workspace, for example (without holding ALT). I think that could be quite nice, on touch input only.
Oh man, that'd be great. The aforementioned 11" is also a touch screen / tablet mode thing.... and that'd be awesome. Now I want something I didn't even know I wanted.

S

Storyteller

Lets just go with 'not everyone is right handed' maybe. Or, not everyone has full use of both hands equally. Id think this would be a simple fix, just a flag and a few lines of code, but Im not under the hood there.

(I have nerve damage in my left hand. About all I use it for is to prop myself up. On my desktop I use it with a 3d mouse a bit, but keyboards are a no-go. I can use a gamepad ok, but WASD is out of the question, has to do with how I can move my wrist)