• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion [Proposal] Free asset deformation on asset layer

gnysek

While making my current game, I've come to an idea what would be really useful in GM:S 2.0.

Since now we have "asset layer" on which we can put sprites instead of objects, it would be nice, if we can transform them. My proposal is, that at least you can select on how many sections sprite should be divided (if vertex points cannot be added manually), and then allow to drag edges of polygons, so you can freely transform square image into other shapes.

Here's how it looks now in my game (it's top-down view game):
gm-asset-now.jpg

Here's how it could look after change:

gm-asset-free-deform.jpg

This is very hard to achieve now and very time consuming. Only way I can see now to mimic it, is to create a path and draw a triangle around it (it's done this way in "They Need To be Fed" game, for curly floors in later levels), but that would require a big amount ot paths, lot of scripting, drawing outside a view too and width of sprite will be still limited (while in above version I can freely transform it).

There's such feature in Spine animation editor, it's called Free Form Deformation (FFD).

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Yeah, that would be pretty cool. File it (along with the images and link here) as a suggestion. Not promising a time frame, but it could be really cool and handy. Nice one :)

gnysek

Yeah, that would be pretty cool. File it (along with the images and link here) as a suggestion. Not promising a time frame, but it could be really cool and handy. Nice one :)
Yeah, a timeframe... hope this will be done before I finish my game, otherwise i need to polish it in a hardcore way and that would extend developing time :p

I

icuurd12b42

It could be a variant of the tile system. tiles that touch share vertices, and a way to move the vertices to deform the tile(s). there would also need to have a subdivide feature to split the vertices into smaller facets for smoother deformation

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I've no idea how we'd tackle the UI yet, I've other things to think about just now. But I suspect it'll be some sort of point insert like the spline so you just add points where you need and move them....

who knows. And yes.... not a clue when this could be done. Its a big feature, so would take time no matter what - but its one worth doing.

Collision to it would be nice as well :)

gnysek

Collision to it would be nice as well :)
If you add collision to it, I would come to Dundee and bake you a nice cake on my own! That's even more I can imagine.

So, it can come into two batches (deform first, then collisions later).

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Well... its not going to be there for some time, so you can imagine it with Unicorns dancing a jig if you like :)

I

icuurd12b42

Hehe. getting an array of triangles points would also be nice for our own collision