• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Please, no autosave!

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FinalQ

How to disable the auto-save changes when you close something?
That's just terrible!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You can't. We've had this discussion many times on the forums and it's not something that's going to be changed. Just get used to the new paradigm and learn to use undo and not rely on the old way of doing things (and it's not exactly save on close, it can be save on change too).

Last edited:

GMWolf

aka fel666
I don't think its terrible in of itself. Its actually great behavior IMO.
What is terrible is that it will freeze the editor whilst saving, all of it! Depending on how busy your drive is, it can easily take a a couple seconds.

It would be great if it could be doing that in the background, perhaps on another thread such that you don't even notice it.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We did try that, but folk would (naturally) carry on editing stuff, and this messed up saving as you could modify things that haven't saved yet....

ideally you would copy everything, and then save in the background, but this could be the whole project which is just too much.

GMWolf

aka fel666
We did try that, but folk would (naturally) carry on editing stuff, and this messed up saving as you could modify things that haven't saved yet....

ideally you would copy everything, and then save in the background, but this could be the whole project which is just too much.
Could you not queue changes? Such that every change you make is put on a queue to be saved?
If the user does edit something that requires the whole queue to be saved, then block and save all.

At the moment, when closing something like a script, I would want to navigate the workspace (which I still think is inefficient), but I can't because its busy saving. If it where just waiting for it to close or something, it would be fine. But trying to scroll around the workspace without realizing it's busy saving is rather annoying.

You can't. We've had this discussion many times on the forums and it's not something that's going to be changed. Just get used to the new paradigm and learn to use undo and not rely on the old way of doing things (and it's not exactly save on close, it can be save on change too).
I'm not a huge fan of this behavior, either....what's the reasoning behind it, exactly? I think GMS2 is the only program I've ever seen that saves all your work as you're doing it. What's the point of this behavior? We're clicking a button to close the form anyway....why not just give us a "cancel" button next to the "save" button, the same as every other program out there?

GMWolf

aka fel666
I'm not a huge fan of this behavior, either....what's the reasoning behind it, exactly? I think GMS2 is the only program I've ever seen that saves all your work as you're doing it. What's the point of this behavior? We're clicking a button to close the form anyway....why not just give us a "cancel" button next to the "save" button, the same as every other program out there?
No, not at all the only IDE.
When programming, you are working off multiple files. Be it it c, Java, or GM.

Working off files means any change you make tend to be saved. It would be ridiculous to keep all resources in ram.
If you do want to be able to roll back your project to before you edited it, user source control. Its not that hard.

Juju

why not just give us a "cancel" button next to the "save" button, the same as every other program out there?
I'd put them at opposite ends of the window, but yes.

It would be ridiculous to keep all resources in ram.
Yeah... but this is text. The undo history for each code window is being saved already.

Anyway, YYG hath spoken. I don't agree with this either, people will complain about this for the lifetime of the product, but them's the breaks. You can work around these issues with some temporary copy-pasting, as enormously clumsy as that is.

No, not at all the only IDE.
Working off files means any change you make tend to be saved. It would be ridiculous to keep all resources in ram.
If you do want to be able to roll back your project to before you edited it, user source control. Its not that hard.
Yeah, having multiple text files open in my project at once would be insane! I might use up like 2Mb of RAM on a large project! Holy crap! :p
I'm not talking about rolling back changes to an older project. I'm talking about rolling back changes to thirty seconds ago. In any other program I've ever used, if I edit something real quick, and then decide "nah, that was a bad idea," I simply x out the file I'm editing. Instead of holding control+z until I get my file to the exact spot I want it at without overshooting or undershooting. Ridiculous, I know.
I'd put them at opposite ends of the window, but yes.

Yeah... but this is text. The undo history for each code window is being saved already.

Anyway, YYG hath spoken. I don't agree with this either, people will complain about this for the lifetime of the product, but them's the breaks. You can work around these issues with some temporary copy-pasting, as enormously clumsy as that is.
Yes, like you said, the complete history of every text file open is already there (in RAM - ridiculous!). There is absolutely no reason for YoYo not to give us a cancel button besides "we decided not to, and it would take us like a whole hour to implement this. Deal with it, lol."

GMWolf

aka fel666
Yeah, having multiple text files open in my project at once would be insane! I might use up like 2Mb of RAM on a large project!
Well, there are images and sounds too.
But just text can already take up a fair amount of ram. None of my GM projects ever got that big, but one of my java project is really quite large. Combined with generated source I'm approaching 1/2 a gig.

I'm not talking about rolling back changes to an older project. I'm talking about rolling back changes to thirty seconds ago.
Well, you always have the undo button... And making safe copies of your scripts too.

In my experience, many programs do this. Not always right after you make a change, but at least on compile. So relying on your changes not being saved isnt the smartest thing.

Well, there are images and sounds too.
But just text can already take up a fair amount of ram. None of my GM projects ever got that big, but one of my java project is really quite large. Combined with generated source I'm approaching 1/2 a gig.
Sure, that's true. But what's your point? Photoshop doesn't say "well, you've got a gb worth of images opened now, so I'm going to save and close half of them for you now, lol." It just lets you use up RAM until you close some images manually. Same as every other program out there.
Well, you always have the undo button... And making safe copies of your scripts too.

In my experience, many programs do this. Not always right after you make a change, but at least on compile. So relying on your changes not being saved isnt the smartest thing.
"The smartest thing" is working as quickly and efficiently as you can given the constraints of the program you're working in. In GMS1.x and every other program I've ever used, I can edit files to my heart's content safe in the knowledge that nothing is final until I click the "save," "okay," or "checkmark" button. I know many (most?) IDE's save your project when you compile. That's not what I'm talking about here. GMS1.x saves when you compile too, and I'm fine with that. I'm asking for GMS1.x's code dialog option to close a code window without saving it. It might not be part of your workflow (apparently it isn't!), but for me, I change things, write pseudo-code, etc, and then decide to cancel what I wrote by simply x'ing out of the code window. Whenever I do basically anything, I do it like this. Losing that option in GMS2 is going to hurt my productivity, and it'd be a simple option for YoYo to add. They already have the complete history for the code dialogs sitting in memory anyway. All they'd need to do is keep track of where a code dialog is when opening, and have the "cancel" option automatically undo to where it was last opened for us.

Edit: have to come clean here. I thought the undoing in GMS2 went back to the last time you opened the project, not the last time you opened the code dialog. I'm still mostly working in GMS1.x. Sorry guys! :x

That said, I'd still appreciate a "close" button, but it's not as needed as I thought it was. Holding control+z for a few seconds is annoying, but the situation isn't nearly as bad as I'd thought. My bad for not checking first. Sorry for wasting your time arguing about something I was misunderstanding, @Fel666! ^ ^;

Last edited:
I

Inge Jones

I'm new to GameMaker but I'd probably mitigate this feature by taking a safe copy of my project before each session in case anything horrendous went wrong and got saved, at least I'd only lose a day's work

F

FinalQ

Also I did not find the backup function. It will be added in the future?

P.S. Source control - that's great, but it would be something able to keep their jobs in the event of failure "out of the box".

And here we go at it again. As I see, I am not the only one that wants the good old "Save" "Don't save" and "Cancel" window back when closing something. The reality is that the YYG staff and programmers don't feel like this is an important issue (that when looking at all the answers I've got from my own previous posts that mention that same problem). Basically, this will maybe in a very far futur be corrected but again, then, all those that don't like the new GMS2 IDE will simply be gone and all there will be left are those positive people that believe that this IDE and GUI are perfectly suitable in a Windows envirennement.

I don't know if someone at YYG will eventually think this thing out and do something but for now, as I have seen by YYG staff AND optimistic users in my previous posts, this won't be taken into consideration right now. So, even though I don't weigh much in the balance and that my action is pretty much useless, I'll simply discourage YYG with their new IDE by not buying GMS2 unless I see a major change in the working of the GMS2 IDE and GUI or when GMS 3 will be out. But again, at what price will this be if they already require more than 80$ CAD for an upgrade that removes my ability to export in HTML5 unless I still use GMS1. There's lots of things to think about as for now, besides the core functionalities for the game creation part that are pretty awesome, I must admit! Because of an IDE hard to work with and unintuitive as a Windows user, I need to desist and just let the thing follow it's own way sacrificing long years of fun good years in YYG forum relations.

The world is moving on and more companies will go with commercial products for big customers leaving the small ones behind. Because face it - No small ordinary person will decide to put over 100$ on a software that does not come in a box requiring an internet connection on it's first programming software. They'll prefer putting their money on a good graphics card to pump up their graphics for the games they play until the 8K screen resolution come up with new monitors and movies. So this GMS2 version is a start for a change in customer type from YYG, that's how I see it.

N

NPT

And here we go at it again. As I see, I am not the only one that wants the good old "Save" "Don't save" and "Cancel" window back when closing something. The reality is that the YYG staff and programmers don't feel like this is an important issue (that when looking at all the answers I've got from my own previous posts that mention that same problem). Basically, this will maybe in a very far futur be corrected but again, then, all those that don't like the new GMS2 IDE will simply be gone and all there will be left are those positive people that believe that this IDE and GUI are perfectly suitable in a Windows envirennement.

I don't know if someone at YYG will eventually think this thing out and do something but for now, as I have seen by YYG staff AND optimistic users in my previous posts, this won't be taken into consideration right now. So, even though I don't weigh much in the balance and that my action is pretty much useless, I'll simply discourage YYG with their new IDE by not buying GMS2 unless I see a major change in the working of the GMS2 IDE and GUI or when GMS 3 will be out. But again, at what price will this be if they already require more than 80$ CAD for an upgrade that removes my ability to export in HTML5 unless I still use GMS1. There's lots of things to think about as for now, besides the core functionalities for the game creation part that are pretty awesome, I must admit! Because of an IDE hard to work with and unintuitive as a Windows user, I need to desist and just let the thing follow it's own way sacrificing long years of fun good years in YYG forum relations.

The world is moving on and more companies will go with commercial products for big customers leaving the small ones behind. Because face it - No small ordinary person will decide to put over 100$ on a software that does not come in a box requiring an internet connection on it's first programming software. They'll prefer putting their money on a good graphics card to pump up their graphics for the games they play until the 8K screen resolution come up with new monitors and movies. So this GMS2 version is a start for a change in customer type from YYG, that's how I see it.
Oh look, David's complaining posting again.

[YAWN]

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
A compromise would be a quick "undo all on this resource" or "cancel all changes" button. That would work until the issues with source control get sorted out (the Git plugin AND the ongoing issue with conflicts in the views directory). The only use case for not auto-saving so far is basically this.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
GMS2 now works the same as most dev environments do. If you leave the window open, you can undo back to where you need to. We do not keep an "old" copy of the resource around for you to cancel. It has to save in order to compile, but if you leave the resource open, you can undo as much as you like.

This isn't going to change.

David quit going on about the modules. They are different. I've lost count of the number of times we've told you this, explained how much they have changed internally and the efforts we've put into improving them. 1.x modules are NOT compatible with GMS2. So you can either stick with 1.x as it works perfectly well, or quit moaning about it and buy GMS2. Your choice, but either way but no more bitching about it. Any further bitching and moaning about things we've constantly told you aren't going to change will be removed - enough is enough. We will happily take constructive criticism - and we've added and change a lot already due to customer feedback, but not this constant bitching. Just deal with it and move on.

Ubu

How to disable the auto-save changes when you close something?
That's just terrible!
Just get used to the new paradigm and learn to use undo and not rely on the old way of doing things (and it's not exactly save on close, it can be save on change too).
I still don't get why it can't be a choice. Why not make GMS2 as flexible and user friendly as possible?

Roderick

I still don't get why it can't be a choice. Why not make GMS2 as flexible and user friendly as possible?
From what they've said, you CAN "Close without saving". Kinda. Just click "Undo" until you've emptied the Undo queue, and you'll be back to where you started. Then close the window, and it's closed without saving.

Some programs have an "Undo All" menu option. Does GMS2 have one? (sorry, haven't reinstalled the Beta since I got my new hard drive)

@Mike: Would it be hard to add an "Undo All" if there isn't one already? That should satisfy most in both camps.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
This wouldn't do what you expected, and on top of that may mess up for others. If you leave a window open all the time - as I do, and you hit this you would lose everything. It keeps everything as long as the window is open, so undo everything would nuke the lot.

Not a fan..... I've already accidentally undone past a save/compile point and not noticed. This could be lethal.

Roderick

That would actually be pretty handy... I'd vote for that too - but NOT a button, but rather a RMB menu option to undo all and it would be easy to add. :)
Well, I was thinking of putting it in the dropdown, under Undo and Redo... But I just checked, and realized that those aren't in the Edit menu (in 1.4 at least), which is where I usually see them.

But I agree, a clickable button is not ideal, nor what I intended to suggest.

GMWolf

aka fel666
I agree too.
Having an option to undoba changes would be great. (Perhaps with the option to commit changes, without closing?) Kinda like a mini, local scm.

Ubu

Close with saving / close without saving. User's choice.

Capture2d.jpg

Or it could be an option in settings.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Yeah... on the menu would probably be fine - not something you'd accidentally do. And no... not going on the title bar, because that IS something you could accidentally do.

Also, remember there are "some" non-undoable actions, mainly to do with sprite importing etc.

Tsa05

Interesting discussions. I'm surprised to find that people are having trouble with this auto-save, especially since 1.x, where test-running your project caused it to save and undo didn't work properly...

If YYG do decide to modify this behaviour, then I recommend the old axiom: "What Would Photoshop Do?"
  • Quitting w/out saving changes. YYG has sufficiently explained that this is undesirable in a coding project.
  • Background saving. It's basically magic since a single save could take several minutes--but it took them years to get it working
  • History window for each resource. Winner!! This one could be implemented. It's just a UI for multiple Undo. Since Undo already has this stuff saved...why not sort it out per resource and make it clear what's being undone?
For the Photoshop uninitiated, here's a handy screenshot of the feature, already implemented in Game Maker:

Ehh, disclaimer, feature is not actually already implemented in GameMaker...
And, just to clarify, this separates out the steps you did (in order) on each resource and lets you click somewhere in history to revert each step in order to that point. And you can re-do as long as you don't make a change after undoing.

In essence, you can edit resource A then resource B then resource A then resource B--this interface allows you to undo both changes to A without having to step back through B as well. (Leave regular Undo in there, too)

Last edited:

GMWolf

aka fel666
History window for each resource.
That would actually be really nice too.
Though, it must be smart to identity what a change is. In text, this can be very difficult to decide. Is it every new line? Every time you type then pause? Every keyword? Its really a hard thing to decide.

Moreover, I don't think I would use it much at all. If I wrote something wrongly, how hard is it to just delete it? And if you overwrote some code you actually wanted to keep... Well that's where programmers comment out before deleting. Its very easy to do, and IMO, faster than digging through an undo history. it also serves as a reminder to what exactly you where changing, so that you don't writ too little/too much code.

Tsa05

Though, it must be smart to identity what a change is. In text, this can be very difficult to decide.
Easy to decide. The history window isn't a new feature suggestion; it's an interface into the existing feature of multiple Undo which I propose to solve the issue people have expressed in this thread of auto-saving. Game Maker already has smart identifying-- type "this is a " into the code editor, wait a second for the syntax error hilighting, and then type "test". Press Undo twice to remove "test" and then "this is a ".

The history panel simply shows the user what is going to be "undone" and divides the list of available "undos" into the resources they belong to. In this way, we could use the much-improved regular undo as usual, but for people who are discontent with auto-save, they could undo changes in only the script they need to fix, and can see exactly where to "stpe back" to.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
This is a pretty massive addition, and there's simply too much other stuff to do. Never say never, but isn't going to happen any time soon....

GMS2 now works the same as most dev environments do....
See... That's what I was saying
I don't know if someone at YYG will eventually think this thing out and do something but for now, as I have seen by YYG staff AND optimistic users in my previous posts, this won't be taken into consideration right now.
Here is something really simple to understand: When I first bought Game Maker 5 or 6, I don't remember which one I bought first but the point is that Game Maker was exactly the OPPOSITE of Mike's quote. Game Maker actually DID NOT WORK like other programming IDEs and that is what made it's strength and the ONE BIG HUGE reason I decided to buy this great tool. Now, you are going in the opposite direction of what initially brought Game Maker to life. A basic IDE working in other ways that most IDEs do not which gave us ease of use and perfect platform and RPG creation tools. As soon as 3D came in, that's where the vision started to slack off in another direction (not that I complain about the 3D here).
...And no... not going on the title bar, because that IS something you could accidentally do...
And again, another no from a YYG Staff. I'll go on with the fact that when closing a code box by mistake, I loos all the code. AND further, undoing over 10 times something I've done just to do what a simple "X" can resolve is not a normal or user-friendly solution. That's a lazy "We don't want to loose time in there" answer.
This isn't going to change.

David quit going on about the modules. They are different. I've lost count of the number of times we've told you this, explained how much they have changed internally and the efforts we've put into improving them. 1.x modules are NOT compatible with GMS2. So you can either stick with 1.x as it works perfectly well, or quit moaning about it and buy GMS2. Your choice, but either way but no more bitching about it. Any further bitching and moaning about things we've constantly told you aren't going to change will be removed - enough is enough. We will happily take constructive criticism - and we've added and change a lot already due to customer feedback, but not this constant bitching. Just deal with it and move on.
And that my dear forum friends is how a company treats their loyal customers. Stating that I'm "bitching" not a correct word to use and much less in forums as this is not even a private message.
Then, the point made here in the export modules was NOT to bring the V1 modules in GMS2. That's completely out of the point as it's clearly understood. I was just saying that the V2 export modules should be available NOT the V1s in the V2 engine. Simply give or (that hurts but hey I won't go saying more about this but sell us the V2 modules) that we already paid for in V1. So to resume:

I have
• Android Export V1
• Windows export V1
• HTML5 V1

Now I'd like to have
• Android export V2
• Windows export V2
• HTML5 export V2

Or you could present the user with a warning/confirmation if he pressed the x.
In reply to the above quote was, unless It was not for this specific answer even though it was replied just below:
This is a pretty massive addition, and there's simply too much other stuff to do. Never say never, but isn't going to happen any time soon....
As a programming person, I can and do understand that some things are hard to implement but REALLY, a confirmation dialogue is too much work? OK, so here's a solution that may work as I know confirmation dialogues are not THAT long and hard to implement so here's a contructive suggestion for us, mouse savy people, and I'm not trying to "b*tch" anyone here as stated by a YYG staff member:

I would suggest a confirmation dialogue that proposes ONLY 2 options
  • One to "Close and save"
  • And one to "Cancel" and stay where we are
No undo action, no memory problems into what is saving and what is not, NO "Close and don't save" because that seems to be the problem. Just a simple "Do you really want to save and close or stay where you are and continue working" dialogue. And of course, if possible, an option (a check box) that let's people chose to always save and never ask again if we wish. In my case, I would not check that box, but others that are used with this way of working would just X-out without dialogues.
Oh look, David's complaining posting again.

[YAWN]
One last thing, I know my posts seems to be complaining but people seem to believe I'm trying to make the user interface completely different which is not what I am trying to do. And I do my best in trying to respect what people say so this type of reply in not constructive in this post.

I can though apologise on the way I turn my sentences that seems harsh but over 4 posts in trying to share my points of views where people think I want to bring the GMS1 exports in GMS2 (when that's not what I mean) and where people don't understand that X-ing out a window without any warning can cause issues in a not so far futur (that caused me HUGE break downs in programming in GMS2 because of stupid mistakes like this). As this post says, and like other say, and as YYG Staff members say:
...We will happily take constructive criticism - and we've added and change a lot already due to customer feedback...
That's what I'm trying Mike, I am trying to be as polite as can be while still believing that there may be hope for me to buy GMS2 if the Staff considers a basic dialogue option for the X's and a solution for additional individual exports modules in V2. That's not Bitching, that's pretty much constructive to my eyes.

GMWolf

aka fel666
that caused me HUGE break downs in programming in GMS2 because of stupid mistakes like this
Sorry if I misunderstood, but...
What are you going on about? There is no confirmation window now because you will NOT loose your code when closing a window. How did that cause problems?

What the op wants is that you DO loose your code when closing a window.

Last edited:
Guys, stand back! He's going berserk! You'll be injured if you get caught up in all of his thrashing about!! D:

Just kidding, just kidding. Dave has been repeating himself a lot lately, but I don't think it's really fair for the staff here to call it "bitching" or to dog-pile him by liking snarky trash posts by other members. He is, after all (according to him, anyway), a paying customer concerned about the future of GameMaker. If the staff feels like they've already addressed his concerns, but that their answers are falling on deaf ears, I think it'd be much better to simply give him a polite "we've already explained why we don't want to change this," or to at the very least, just ignore any posts of his they think they've already answered.

That said, the staff at YoYo are really cool for interacting with users here as much as they do in general. It just always bums me out when I see them covertly, or worse, overtly, 💩💩💩💩ting on enthusiastic users.

Clarification needed: Are you asking for a free upgrade from GMS1 modules to GMS2 modules?
I believe he is. I can see where both he and YoYo are coming from, though. I'm 99% sure the room editor and IDE were slated to be fixed in 1.x, and were moved over to 2.x somewhere down the road. If I'd paid $1000 for the software on faith in those promised features, I might be a little annoyed they were asking another $600 or whatever from me to get my full collection of modules back. I didn't, though, and I also understand YoYo needs funding to keep making GM better, and to add that Nintendo Switch module I keep bitching (Beatchya to it, @Mike! ;D ) about, so I'll happily pay for GMS2 and any modules I want for it again. It's obvious a lot of work has gone into this new version - much more so than most programs when they move from one version to the next.

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
That's what I'm trying Mike, I am trying to be as polite as can be while still believing that there may be hope for me to buy GMS2 if the Staff considers a basic dialogue option for the X's and a solution for additional individual exports modules in V2. That's not Bitching, that's pretty much constructive to my eyes.
Ahhhhh.. my apologies. I finally see what you're asking for. You want to be able to buy each module individually. It really wasn't clear; again sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm afraid that's not something we can (currently change). This is a business decision and out of our hands. Never say never.... but it's certainly not something that'll happen in the short to medium term. On the plus side.... owning Android (for example) will give you a discount on the mobile package - so you'll get a discount on (the already cheaper if you added them together) iOS/Android package. I know this isn't exactly what you want, but as I say.....its out of our hands I'm afraid.

Again, apologies for the misunderstanding, that really didn't look like what you were asking for.

GMWolf

aka fel666
I think the new decision of grouping together modules make a lot more sense. Since a huge plus side of GMS is being cross platform. If you want to develop for mobile, it makes sense for the app to be released on all mobile platforms. Intact, that's what people expect these days.
Not so Mich with desktop, but I believe that having apps be releasedreleased on windows, Mac and Linux alike to be very important. (I would love to switch to Linux someday.)

This makes GMS2 far better for new GM developers (I believe), though it is kinda a bummer for existing GM developers. Especially for the onse, who like me, bought the master collection.
I for one, am probably gonna stick to desktop development, and won't invest in the other modules (perhaps maybe just html5). Perhaps if I make money from YouTube one day I will invest it in more modules, but I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Its important to realize that GM is a professional tool (not an AAA tool, but certainly a very good indie tool), and YYG have been shifting towards that demographic rather than children/ hobbyists. like it was before. @Mike please tell me if I'm mistaken.

This shift from hobbyists to more professional user base means YYG are also shifting their businesse model to reflect that change. From a professional developer stand point, it makes a lot of sense to get both android and IOS in one package. Especially since porting from one mobile platform to another is quite effortless in GM.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Not quite. While we are trying to make the tool more professional in order to attract the more professional audience, we still very much want to keep our roots. However we do still have other plans that aren't public yet they will help.
I'm gonna try to guess: so form of subscription: get the export module for a week.
Or perhaps a per project export: get 5 mobile projects for £10. Or get the full module for unlimited.

How close am i?

F

FinalQ

I'm gonna try to guess: so form of subscription: get the export module for a week.
Or perhaps a per project export: get 5 mobile projects for £10. Or get the full module for unlimited.

How close am i?
Quite possibly. Again, this will be a step in the wrong direction. IMHO

Subscribe everywhere - a new fashion. The main thing that has remained the possibility to buy lifetime license.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Quite possibly. Again, this will be a step in the wrong direction. IMHO

Subscribe everywhere - a new fashion. The main thing that has remained the possibility to buy lifetime license.
Software is increasingly expensive to produce. Subscription models allow developers to plan more long term and allow for better software (in theory). It also slows users to try out the software at a lower price.

It is worst for developers who are in it for the long term however (outside the software Improvement).

N

NPT

Guys, stand back! He's going berserk! You'll be injured if you get caught up in all of his thrashing about!! D:

Just kidding, just kidding. Dave has been repeating himself a lot lately, but I don't think it's really fair for the staff here to call it "bitching" or to dog-pile him by liking snarky trash posts by other members.

[SNIP]
Sorry, but that post was nothing but bitching. Go actually read it. You can tell it's bitching because it has nothing to do with the topic.

This topic is very specific, it is about the ability to turn off Auto Save, the work around Undo, and the ability to mass Undo and the UX to accomplish that. Now go read his post, other than him saying "I am not the only one that wants the good old "Save" "Don't save" and "Cancel" window back", all it was was a long complaint anout YYGs. It had no targeted suggestions and was everything but constructive complaint.

The end result was the remaining topic is now about all kinds of stuff but the iriginal topic.

This guy is doing YYGS and GMS 2 a disservice by doing nothing but complaining about GMS 2 and YYGs because they aren't immediately aggreeing with him and implimenting his suggestions. This time his complaints took a topic completely off-topic and he's done a disservice to the original topic starter.

His current complaint, you know the one that took him 3 or 4 posts to finaly articulate has been addressed and explained to him numerous times in his previous topics, so much that his last one was closed. That is NOT constructive criticism.

So yeah, the staff has a right to call it bitching, because that's what he's doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhhh.. my apologies. I finally see what you're asking for. You want to be able to buy each module individually. It really wasn't clear; again sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm afraid that's not something we can (currently change). This is a business decision and out of our hands. Never say never.... but it's certainly not something that'll happen in the short to medium term. On the plus side.... owning Android (for example) will give you a discount on the mobile package - so you'll get a discount on (the already cheaper if you added them together) iOS/Android package. I know this isn't exactly what you want, but as I say.....its out of our hands I'm afraid.

Again, apologies for the misunderstanding, that really didn't look like what you were asking for.
NOW that's an answer! Thanks for the clear answer for this part. Now going on with :

Sorry, but that post was nothing but bitching. Go actually read it. You can tell it's bitching because it has nothing to do with the topic.

This topic is very specific, it is about the ability to turn off Auto Save, the work around Undo, and the ability to mass Undo and the UX to accomplish that. Now go read his post, other than him saying "I am not the only one that wants the good old "Save" "Don't save" and "Cancel" window back", all it was was a long complaint anout YYGs. It had no targeted suggestions and was everything but constructive complaint.

The end result was the remaining topic is now about all kinds of stuff but the iriginal topic.

This guy is doing YYGS and GMS 2 a disservice by doing nothing but complaining about GMS 2 and YYGs because they aren't immediately aggreeing with him and implimenting his suggestions. This time his complaints took a topic completely off-topic and he's done a disservice to the original topic starter.

His current complaint, you know the one that took him 3 or 4 posts to finaly articulate has been addressed and explained to him numerous times in his previous topics, so much that his last one was closed. That is NOT constructive criticism.

So yeah, the staff has a right to call it bitching, because that's what he's doing.
In reply to THIS topic, I worte this previously in this topic.

... OK, so here's a solution that may work as I know confirmation dialogues are not THAT long and hard to implement so here's a contructive suggestion for us, mouse savy people ...

I would suggest a confirmation dialogue that proposes ONLY 2 options when X-ing out:
  • One to "Close and save"
  • And one to "Cancel" and stay where we are
No undo action, no memory problems into what is saving and what is not, NO "Close and don't save" because that seems to be the problem. Just a simple "Do you really want to save and close or stay where you are and continue working" dialogue. And of course, if possible, an option (a check box) that let's people chose to always save and never ask again if we wish. In my case, I would not check that box, but others that are used with this way of working would just X-out without dialogues.

Z

zendraw

I wuld like to revive this topic since its very relative today also, i see mike talks about attracting professionals, but thats just talk, no profesional will stand for this autosave. there shuld be an option to turn it off, how hard it is to make that possible? why is it so difficult to give people a simple option to decide wether they want some functinality or not? sorry but as soon as i get my work done with gms2 im going to another engine, for 3 years now, how meny Pro`s has gms2 attracted with its unique and strict IDE designs?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I no longer work at YoYo.... but I've used loads of other tools, and all the bigger tools - unity, Visual Studio etc. all save on compile. Compilations happen to/from disk, not memory. This is especially true when you compile to another platform, android or console. All these tools operate from disk, so it has to save.

Also... you're definition of "simple" is far from this. YoYo can't change 3rd party tools, they need to save in order to use the Nintendo compiler, or export to Android etc. If they saved to a cache folder, they'd have to do a full save at least once - which on larger projects is a killer.

However - as long as your window (script window, image editor - whatever), remains open, you can undo whatever you need to.
On top of that - use source control, and with any major change, check in or stash a change list. Then if you don't like it, you can revert.
Source control is not only the answer to this, it's also you're biggest friend in development.

Posh Indie

That Guy
I wuld like to revive this topic since its very relative today also, i see mike talks about attracting professionals, but thats just talk, no profesional will stand for this autosave. there shuld be an option to turn it off, how hard it is to make that possible? why is it so difficult to give people a simple option to decide wether they want some functinality or not? sorry but as soon as i get my work done with gms2 im going to another engine, for 3 years now, how meny Pro`s has gms2 attracted with its unique and strict IDE designs?
Professionals have stood for auto-save for a long time. Also, "holy necro", make a new thread next time. You literally raised the dead.

@Mike Gasp! My time here has felt hollow until this day, haha.

Last edited:

Posh Indie

That Guy
Well... since I no longer work for them, my forum ban is no longer in effect - so now I can feel free to insult you all at my leisure.
The day just keeps getting better! I am sure the community as a whole will appreciate unbridled Mike! (I mean, let's be real. Being able to tell us to "Shut up and let you finish" would have to A) be satisfying, and B) allow less over-articulation of responses.)

Z

zendraw

I no longer work at YoYo.... but I've used loads of other tools, and all the bigger tools - unity, Visual Studio etc. all save on compile. Compilations happen to/from disk, not memory. This is especially true when you compile to another platform, android or console. All these tools operate from disk, so it has to save.

Also... you're definition of "simple" is far from this. YoYo can't change 3rd party tools, they need to save in order to use the Nintendo compiler, or export to Android etc. If they saved to a cache folder, they'd have to do a full save at least once - which on larger projects is a killer.

However - as long as your window (script window, image editor - whatever), remains open, you can undo whatever you need to.
On top of that - use source control, and with any major change, check in or stash a change list. Then if you don't like it, you can revert.
Source control is not only the answer to this, it's also you're biggest friend in development.
yeah ofcorse ill use a dozen outside tools just becouse we cant have a simple saving system, i dont see what your point is, we have a manual save that saves the same way that it autosaves, why not let me save when i want? it alredy saves what is nececery, which is not the whole project, i dont see why you bring that up. also the whole complaint for this autosaving is the freezing when it happens, im all for autosaves but when done right. it even lags when it detects syntax errors...

ill make it simple, the problem is the lag, not the autosave, and the solution to that is manual save, or to put it simply, give the option to the user to save when he wants, how much data he wants, it shuldnt be that hard to make, infact you dont need to do anything but a simple if (autosave) {autosave}; the manual save saves the same way the autosave saves. there is 0 reason why this is not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.