• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows [SOLVED] Problem with FPS

TheBroman90

I have a problem with my frame rate and I can't understand what's causing it...

When I run my game inside Game Maker everything is fine. I can even create a .exe file, run it and play without problems. BUT! When I close Game Maker and exit Steam and then run my .exe file again I get 20 FPS less than before. And if I start Game Maker again my FPS goes back up.

What is going on?

EDIT: My friend got 40 FPS on his computer too, even though the real fps was over 2000. So I told him to download Game Maker on Steam. He then ran Game Maker in the background and the FPS in the game went up to 60. This makes no sense!

Last edited:

PNelly

Your question implies something going on in the backend of GMS as opposed to GML programming so you'll probably get a better response in the tech support part of the forums, or you can open a ticket with the yoyo games help desk

TheBroman90

This is driving me crazy. All my game projects I create require me to run game maker in the background, or else the fps drops to 40 even though the real fps is 2000+. How's that even possible? It's the same on all computers I test on.

I asked in the tech forum and sent a qustion to yoyo games but got no reply. Is it just me who have this weird problem?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I'll move this to Community Tech Support. I doubt it's a technical problem with GM, though.

Is your CPU set to maximum performance at all times? If not, it may be underclocking itself if it's on low load, thus leading to lower performance. Steam's client makes my CPU load peak as long as its UI is open, so the scenario you described makes the results sound logical to me if this is what's happening.

Juju

That the debug overlay is giving you a number in the thousands, I'd consider this test to be an edge case. Add some weight to your project and see what happens.

TheBroman90

Is your CPU set to maximum performance at all times? If not, it may be underclocking itself if it's on low load, thus leading to lower performance. Steam's client makes my CPU load peak as long as its UI is open, so the scenario you described makes the results sound logical to me if this is what's happening.
How do I set it to maximum performance? I opened Steam, ran my game and got 40 fps. Then I started Game Maker and the fps went up to 60.

EDIT: I noticed that running games from Steam also gives me 60 fps, so it's not just Game Maker.

That the debug overlay is giving you a number in the thousands, I'd consider this test to be an edge case. Add some weight to your project and see what happens.
I get 2000+ real fps in the beginning of the game. Then when the action starts and body parts are flying all over, the real fps might drop to 500 or something. And again, I get 60 fps with Game Maker running and as soon as I close it the fps drops.

Last edited:
A

Arjailer

This has been discussed several times before. This thread in particular appears to have a solution near the end of the thread (setting Sleep Margin to 10).

Edit: Not noticed the problem myself, so don't know if the Sleep Margin fix actually works - just remembered seeing that tread and thought it might be relevant :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBroman90

This has been discussed several times before. This thread in particular appears to have a solution near the end of the thread (setting Sleep Margin to 10).

Edit: Not noticed the problem myself, so don't know if the Sleep Margin fix actually works - just remembered seeing that tread and thought it might be relevant :)
Thanks! I think that solved it :)