• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Bugs and workflow improvements

J

jessieweidig

Version: 2.0.1.33

I don't know if it's better to create a new thread for every single issue I encountered, so I'll just create a thread and post my own feedback and thoughts here. :)

1) BUG: When I open my project, the left and right panels are stretched almost all the way to the middle and the workspace "camera" is offset from where I left it.

2) BUG(?): When I have the output console closed (ie. all the way to the bottom), I don't want to have to close it down again each time I ran the project. Would be cool if it could just stay the way I want it to.

3) BUG: Double clicking on a Workspace tab to rename it only registers when I click very slowly.

4) (edit) nvm

5) WORKFLOW: Dragging and dropping a non-text resource from a workspace to the tab bar should open a new workspace and move the resource there.

6) WORKFLOW: I can drag a text resource (notes, code) to the tab and create a text-only workspace for it. But I cannot drag a note or script directly from the resources to the tab. Going the extra step via the workspace shouldn't be needed.

7) WORKFLOW: I love how you can middle click a script name and it chain-opens. It would be cool if we could type out a script name that doesn't exist yet, right click on it and then have the option to create a script for it if it doesn't exist yet, and then chain-open it right away.

8) Similar idea: It would be cool if we could select a bunch of code and then (1) create a script for it (2) replace the selection with the script call (3) chain-open it.

Last edited by a moderator:

xot

GMLscripter
GMC Elder
3) BUG: Double clicking on a Workspace tab to rename it only registers when I click very slowly.
It requires a "slow double-click", distinct from a normal double-click. You can adjust the timing in Preferences > General Settings > Input

J

jessieweidig

Oh okay thanks! :) If it is expected behavior ignore this point. I just read the blog post and I think it mentioned just double-clicking.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
1) BUG: When I open my project, the left and right panels are stretched almost all the way to the middle and the workspace "camera" is offset from where I left it.
File a bug and include the UI.log (found in C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\),

2) BUG(?): When I have the output console closed (ie. all the way to the bottom), I don't want to have to close it down again each time I ran the project. Would be cool if it could just stay the way I want it to.
You can switch this off in the preferences. Goto Preferences > Compiling and uncheck "Show COmpiler Window During Compilation".

GMS2 uses a fast double click to open resources and a slow double-click to rename them This is standard throughout the IDE.

4) WORKFLOW: It's not possible to DnD a resource from one workspace to another one.
Could you explain a bit more? Don't get what you mean...

J

jessieweidig

Thanks for the answers. :) About (4), nevermind that. It was my fault. Still getting used to the new UI paradigm (which I really dig).

GMS2 uses a fast double click to open resources and a slow double-click to rename them This is standard throughout the IDE.
Just frustating at all. Fast double click on the bottom workspace tabs is useless. So why not using even the fast double click for renaming tabs? Don't standardize this thing if it is something that could have a better behavior for UX

For the resourse tree, you could also add a setting (disabled by default) to open the resources with only one left click and double click to rename it.